Antwerp Maritime Academy (Hogere Zeevaartschool - HZS) is an international top school in the heart of Europe's maritime capital: Antwerp. For over two hundred years, we have been the Belgian reference for training in the maritime sector, and today we are more relevant than ever in an increasingly globalised world. We offer modern and future-oriented courses that prepare you for a career in the wheelhouse of our society - on board a ship or ashore.
We think that our campus in the Scheldt curve is the best in Antwerp. The view is magnificent and the distance to partner companies (and the city centre) very short. Next academic year, the listed main building will be fitted with an ultramodern brother, to make lessons and practical labs even more comfortable.
Also ultramodern are our simulators for practising complex shipping manoeuvres or communication at sea, and our didactic methods for teaching you the necessary knowledge. By the way, these are taught by teachers with a head full of knowledge and a belly full of love for the sector. And what they don't tell you, you will undoubtedly find in the extensive library.
History in pictures
General Manager: Dr. Rowan Van Schaeren
- Faculty Head of the Nautical Faculty: Axel Annaert
- Faculty Head of Naval Engineering Remke Willemen
- Faculty Head of Science: Ludwina Van Son
- Librarian: Han Jacobs
- Maritime Training: Christel Peeters
- Communication: Gersom Brussaard
- Internationalization: Olivier Schalm
- Hydrography: Axel Annaert
- Quality Assurance: Helen Verstraelen
- Education and Educational Renewal: Ilse Bogaert
- Scientific Research: Geert Potters, Marc Vervoort and Olivier Schalm
- Science Communication: Ilse Bogaert
- Student Counselling: Sylvia Adriaenssens; Isabelle Dekkers
- ICT: Peter Bueken, Ken Driessens
- Infrastructure: Stefaan Bueken
Administrative and technical staff
- Head of department: Kristel Van Roy
Boards and committees
- Chairman Supervisory Board: Peter Raes
- Chairman Executive Council: Peter Raes
- Chairman Committee Education and Educational Renewal (COO): Rowan Van Schaeren
- Chairman Committee Scientific Research (CWO): Rowan Van Schaeren
- Chairman University College Negotiation Committee (HOC): Rowan Van Schaeren
- Chairman Steering Council IVH (Institute for Hydrography): Philippe De Maeyer
- Chairman Student Council: Arthur Wouters
The Antwerp Maritime Academy is authorised to receive exempted donations.
Thanks to your financial support, the HZS can continue to invest in high-quality education and carry on its pioneering research. And the unique heritage of the Hogere Zeevaartschool will be preserved.
To this end, HZS appeals to the loyalty of its alumni, companies and everyone who cares about the college and nautical education.
Rebecca Van Rie
Head of Accounting and Personnel
tel. 03-205 64 31
Gender Equality Plan
What a network
Those who graduate here do not only have a diploma in their hands. You are also part of a strong network of maritime companies and service providers where your diploma opens doors. Here, but also abroad. That is a priceless advantage that will pay off for a lifetime.
Latest news from the maritime world
If you are so connected to the maritime sector, you might pick up some news from time to time. You will find them on these pages.